Will Reverse Overlap Grip Take Over College Golf?

Is the reverse overlap grip the new fad? How long before it breaks into the college golf scene?

Lately I’ve noticed that a lot of tour players have switched their putting grips to the reverse overlap grip; and I mean A LOT.  Not just any tour players, however, but the best of them--including Phil Mickelson, Rickie Fowler and Bubba Watson.


It all started as I was watching the Masters ever so intently. I started to notice the odd-looking positioning of players’ hands as they putted. It looked so foreign to me to the point that I started thinking, “has it really been this long since I’ve last watched/played golf?”

Even the two co-founders of NextGenGolf, Kris and Mike have switched to the dark side. I can only assume those playing college golf will follow suit. But I can’t argue with that since they both shut me up when it comes to putting! Maybe it’s time for me to make a change? Well, according to this guy, it seems to be one of the most popular putting styles - And he seems pretty legit.

Well, here’s my two cents.  I say however you putt, keep it up as long as it does well by you. It doesn’t matter if you putt with one leg forward, feet touching or hunched over at a near-perfect 90 degree angle like a parched flamingo sipping water. As long as the ball finds its way home, then that’s fine by me. Whether you play college golf or just golf with you buddies, if your putting technique ain't broke then don't fix it.

And kudos to my man, Adam Scott, for sweeping all those clutch putts into the dustpan.

Need help recruiting for your club golf team?


**Travis Richardson is a Zone Manager for the NCCGA, working with students to help start college golf club teams in California and the Southeastern United States. Contact Travis on Twitter @travis_richson